Saturday, November 20, 2010

Saturday Shares

Or: I'm at this volunteer thing all Saturday (actually typing this up on Friday) so this is a bit of a lazy post.Okay, first: I got interviewed! Check it out.I'm not feel so hot today. Ran on too little rest and crashed like crazy, then scratched my eyelid and my eye swelled up. so, I'm going to send an extract of my WIR (work-in-revision) for you all to read. Let me know what you think!Oh, yeah, there's some PG-13 content in this.

I've starred out the swears, but take at your own risk.It snowed all night, which was just fabulous. More f*cking snow. Just what we needed.Reaching up with the weather muscle in my brain, I pressed and poked and prodded until the clouds opened up, pouring rain down on our fair city like the crying of a low heart.When Mason yelled at me to get out of bed and get set for school, I pressed harder. Felt for the hum of lightning deep in the clouds, the electricity. I hoped for plenty of a force to save me home and away from the noise.Nada. Mother Nature refused to comply, deciding to be quenched with a steady pounding downpour. Much like my own mother, Mother Nature could be a real bitch sometimes. Once things got this far out of my control, I couldn`t get them back.I gave up on the theme of staying home and got dressed."Come on, I`ll have you a drive to train so you won`t be late."Mason greeted me with the pass from the kitchen table as I clomped down the stairs."Coffee."Mason stood up, still exhausting his work clothes. Light blue dress shirt, black dress pants. No radio or gun belt, though. He ever took them as shortly as he got off duty and locked them off in the good within minutes of getting home. It made me nervous if he left them out and I believe it made him nervous to leave them out when I was home."No time. You`re nearly late already."I grabbed the coffee pot and a mug. "Coffee."Like he did every morning when I came down late, he took off my mug and hustled me out the door. Damn older brother. Why did he ever cause to be so freaking responsible?Mason parked his truck right adjacent to the check in presence of the school. "Have a nice day, kid."I muttered something back as I slid out of his truck, unable to follow up with a decent - nice - response this early in the morning, and ran for the front door.Just before I reached the school stairs, a tall boy pushed in presence of me. He stopped short in his tracks and I walked right into his back. My face smashed into the cold, soaked fabric of his cap with the power of a bang in the dark."Agh!" I jumped back. "Godd*mn. You freaking did that on purpose!"He didn`t even bothering to grow around, just muttered, "Well, maybe you shouldn`t walk so near to me."Oh, man. I knew that voice all too well."You got in my way," I said, fists clenching at my sides. Why did it make to be him? What did I do to deserve that?He shrugged. My pretty gold eyeshadow now graced the support of his jacket, a bright contrast to the fatal fabric. I didn`t need to guess what my face looked like right now."Probably. Watch out," he said and jumped up the end of the stairs.Watch out for what? Without thinking, I looked up exactly in sentence to see a charge of wet slush slide off the roof.Onto my face."F*ck!"I stumbled forward, swiping at my eyes and smearing my makeup further. At my annoyed noise, the boy glanced over his shoulder. His black hair fly in a wet tangle over his eyes but I caught a glance of one dark eyebrow lifting before he spoke again."It`s not ladylike to curse."Ladylike? Well, it wouldn`t just be ladylike for me to plug him in the gut either, but I fought back the impulse to do exactly that.I soaked up the steps just in sentence to see the great metal door slam shut. The jerk wasn`t just a man himself.Inside the school, I headed directly to the bathroom. Cursed again when I saw myself in the mirror. I looked like some kind of reject Broadway raccoon. It took a good five minutes to clear the melted makeup from about my eyes and the remainder of my face.Before I had time to put some game on, several giggling, far too bubbly girls invaded the bathroom. I bailed for the comparative safety of my locker.I slipped out my damp sweatshirt, pulling on another, dry, hoodie from within my cabinet to back up my tank top the moment I had the damp one off. Over the age I`d become adept at that, and I had both arms in the sleeves almost to my shoulders in seconds.Frigid hands landed on my shoulders, shocking cold where the last few patches of my skin were bared.I shrieked and drove my elbow backwards into the owner`s stomach.An all-too-familiar voice gasped my name, sending my own stomach plummeting towards my knees. Oh God, what had I done now?Barely breathing, I turned around.Half bent over, Cameron stared at me with impact on his face. I`ve never, ever, hit him wish that. I pounded the shit out of him a couple times when we were kids, trying to be like the boys, but not wish this."Wanna explain that?" he asked.Explain why I`d just assaulted the only acquaintance I really had? No problem."I`m sorry," I mumbled. "You scared the dirt out of me. Why are your hands so freaking cold?"He stared at me like I`d lost my mind. I probably had. "Because the bathrooms never get hot water and I had to scrub paint off my hands? What`s with you?"Everything."Nothing. I`m going to be later for class. See you at lunch, okay?"He still looked at me wish I had gone around the bend, but he nodded. He always did. We`d eaten lunch together everyday since he moved here, except for when he caught chicken pox from me. And, of course, when my bruises were too obvious for me to get to school.The noise became too much even ahead the class filled up. I put my earbuds in and shoved the book up as far as I could stand. It didn`t matter what sort of music, as farsighted as I turned it aloud to block as much good as possible.The voices came anyway.What is she wearing? Tacky trailer trash slut.Good God, I want a hit.Wonder if he`d put out on the start date.I slipped my pass into my pocket and turned the music up louder.Okay, that's my excerpt. My first one ever, too!Peace and cookies,Laina

No comments:

Post a Comment