Saturday, October 2, 2010

"How My Father's How My Mother's" - Story Time!

My parents were new and dirt poor. They affected to Us looking for a founder and a new start. They arrived in Buffalo from Nova Scotia while my father was 5 months pregnant with me. I was born in 1981, the year Lennon was shot. We lived in the cover of our Ford Econoline van, which was not the better spot to phone "home," but it was cozy. We were close, loving, and miserable. My parents were really dissimilar from each other.

My mother was kind, but weak. We made our "life" by running for kitchens, preparing vegetables and cut the center for cheap wages. We`d buy only what we required to extort by. He`d drop the remainder on alcohol. He would say it was his "release." He got his liquor, I got to maintain my worn out shoes, and my father got no pretty blouses. But I loved him. Aside from the alcohol, he was as complete of a founder as could be. Mother was beautiful, in a sad sort of way. She was smart, caring, always doing small things to serve people, but they would never even notice. I did. She was my sire and I wanted to be exactly like her. She could have been so much more, had she not fallen in bed with father. As dainty as he was, he just held her back. He was never going to win because of the alcohol. He just never realised that, and in a way, I don't believe he ever even cared. Deep down, I don`t believe he did. After a while, he had cut back on his alcohol enough to leave us to get a minor studio apartment. The happiness I felt could not be described. I'm 35 now, and through marrying a dream for a husband and having 2 wonderful children, I've never been as glad as that instant when I walked into that grimy, rat infested apartment for the first time, knowing it was ours. Ours. The spirit was indescribable, knowing that we'd never get to go backwards to keep in that van again. Once we touched in, mother and I would go to the memory in the evenings after I got home from train to scrounge up groceries. We would walk instead of drive. My mother would be in the pool hall, drinking, playing darts, laughing, and spending loads of sentence with people who hardly knew his name; people who would leave him if he were asleep for a few days, but they were yet his "buddies." Mother was my buddy. She and I lived for each other. She was my seed of spirit and I her author of inspiration. We were each other`s way out. My mother, through sheer will, was capable to get a job as a bank teller. She got a tangible job where she was actually making real money. My mother then decided we could give for him to resign his part-time janitorial job at the school. It would have been a lot better if he had decided to stop going to the bars and drinking. His conduct was getting worse and they would fight regularly. It would often end with mother weeping and father slamming the doorway on his way backwards to the bar. Once, instead of staying out until the sun came up, he came back not too long after I went to bed. He was broken at her, yelling and swearing. She was stressful to quiet him down, pleading and crying. The place was escalating, and so got calm for the briefest of seconds. That`s when he hit her. I leaned up in bed in sentence to see him walk by the door. He paused, peering in at his lost daughter. I slinked down below the blanket. The next thing I heard was the door slam. It was the final time I always saw him. The next morning, mother woke me up betimes and told me to take my things. We left in the car she had bought the month earlier with her own money. Father died two days later. We went to the funeral and I cried. Mother cried too, but she cried not because he was gone, he had been gone to her long before he died. She was weeping because, for a moment, she remembered his dreams he told her so long ago. While I was in high school, mother and I had our ups and downs, yet we never wavered in our passion for one another. I learned so much from her. Like the normal teenage girl, I had my part of boyfriends. Some of which were good, some of which were not, but I never let them treat me badly. If they cared enough, they wouldn't. If I felt they didn`t care enough, then I told them I was moving on, regardless how often I thinking of them. My father worked so strong and put up with so often to get us a semi-comfortable lifestyle that she was really able to serve me pay for college. There was a clock in my early adulthood that I realized her sacrifices. What she did, how she did it for me, and what it be her. It be her any chance left at reaching her dreams. Those were as short as my father. She didn't do it to injure him, she did it for me; to enable me to meet my dreams. My wonderful life now is a result of those difficult years for my mother. She could take just folded her tent like my mother and stop on living like he did. It would be comfortable to say that the sole reason she didn't was because of me, but I don't believe that is true. I suppose she would have fought anyway. A while back, I realized another thing. All I always precious to be when I was a kid was to be like my mother. To be that strong. To have that will power. That look like she was ever in control, regardless if she really was or not. I now recognize that I can't always be what she is and it's her fault I can't. The number one goal of my life she made impossible to achieve. I can never be as hard as her because of what she's done for me. I will never get to go through the trials and tribulations she has. Over the years, mother has taught me how to be as hard as she was, but at the same time, her doing so prevented me from being that strong myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment