Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Novak targets Grand Slam set

Novak targets Grand Slam set14 Sep 2011
Villas-Boas: Torres issue is overRice hails battling GunnersAguero: Mancini can be a role modelFerguson expecting a flood of goalsMartinez rues lack of intensitySheridan to seek injury adviceIreland make changes for AustraliaSkrela ruled out of World CupBresnan relishing responsibilities


Novak Djokovic has targeted a career Grand Slam after closing a stunning run of success at the 2011 majors with victory at the US Open.

Djokovic beat Rafael Nadal 6-2 6-4 6-7 (3/7) 6-1 at Flushing Meadows to cap a fantastic year which has also seen him win grand slam crowns in Australia and at Wimbledon.

Djokovic said: "It would be unlikely to be capable to perfect the Grand Slam, to win the French Open. It's something that is decidedly an ambition, but it's release to have time."

The French Open is the sole major to escape him - he lost to Roger Federer in the semis this year - and the Serbian is already dreaming of glory at Roland Garros to finish the career set.

When asked if that was an object for 2012, Djokovic replied: "Sure. Why not? There are yet a lot of things to demonstrate to myself and to the tennis world. I even need to win many more events, many more major events."

The 24-year-old entered 2011 with but one grand slam title to his list and seemed forever destined to be considered in a year below Nadal and Federer.

He credits a greater degree of self-belief as key to the reverse after becoming but the sixth player in the Open Era to win three majors in a season.

"I shot at this story you want to win tough matches against top guys in place to get confidence, get self-belief on the courtyard that you can really win majors," he added. "So I think it just clicked in my head.

"I mean throughout the final pair of age I didn't change my back in any major way - I believe most of the strokes are the like that they were in the final two, three years.

"It's only that I'm hitting the shots now that I maybe wasn't hitting. I'm going for it, I'm more aggressive, and I get a different approach to the semi-finals and finals of major events, especially when I'm playing two great champions in Rafa and Roger."

No comments:

Post a Comment